Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Korean Temple Stay

Korean Buddhist temple offer "temple stay" wherein people can stay in the temple for certain period of time and do whatever the monks and the nuns do in the temple. I participated for a 24 hr temple stay when I was in Seoul. Thought of sharing my experience here(for me). Read through if you are interested...

More than the activities in the temple, the people whom I got to interact were more interesting. I got to meet people from different countries staying in temple for months together. Most of them keep traveling around the world-
  • Almost Everybody said that Indian's have very smart brain. Not only because they know me :) This is a general statement infront of all nation people.
  • A Korean guy was saying that Indians make many delicious vegetarian food, and he became veggie only after eating in India.
  • When I joined the team, the Head monk gave few instructions and asked me to follow other people. Later when an American joined, the head monk explained him for almost 15 mins about the temple stay. Later told me that for Indians even if they donot give any instruction, they will do things right, but for other people even if they give somuch of instruction, they will have doubts :)
  • A lady from Canada was very much excited that she will visit India this year. She told many good things about India like people, religion, intelligence, diversity etc.
  • A Korean lady was very much worried about the caste system in india.
  • There was a very old Korean man who doesn't speak english. Whenever he met me he use to say this - "Ajantaa Elloraa superr".
  • The head monk who was pretty senior for meditation told that the way of meditation started from India and was very thankful for India.

The temple, though very much inside the city, was in the basement of a mountain filled with lot of trees. It was very calm over there. While in the temple, most of the time we were practicing meditation. We woke up at 3am, did chanting, bowing in front of Lord Buddha, cleaned the temple campus, 1 hr walk through the mountain forest. Also we were provided with korean style food for breakfast, lunch, dinner and some snacks, tea. Was in the temple from 2pm Friday to 2pm Saturday. Apart from these, there were lot of other spiritual learning's which I cannot put in words :(

No comments:

Post a Comment